Friday, February 15, 2013

Super Fast Blog Post About How I'm Annoyed With Myself

In FRT today, I first mentioned a story about Fox News that turned out not to be true. I took it out as soon as I realized.

Normally, I factcheck everything before I hit publish, but today I was in a hurry so I checked after.

I seriously hate when I do shit that I constantly criticize other people for doing. Like watching The Bachelor or eating at Chick-Fil-A or sleeping with Republicans. (I really only do one of these three things.)

Which brings me to this. Normally, I catch when things are snarky or satirical. I never read articles from The Onion and think they're true. I never read posts on Facebook and automatically believe that Morgan Freeman said whatever wise thing he's supposed to have said about a current news event. But today I read this story about Fox News and it sure seemed like something that would happen so I went with it.

Did I not immediately question it because it supported my worldview?

That's the problem with all of us, really. We want to believe things that make our opinions and feelings seem valid.

I like to have proof that the people I think are douchebags are actually douchebags. I like to have evidence that someone I called an asshat is, in fact, an asshat.

But I hate with a passion spreading false information.

So I'm seriously annoyed with myself right now.

I still think Fox News sucks, though.

But now I know I suck a little bit, too. Dammit!

4 comments:

  1. Take off the cone of shame. It seemed exactly how Fox News would act when I read the post earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't really love the Bachelor ? I don't know how we can be friends now Amy ... Sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love judging The Bachelor! Does that count?

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.