Saturday, July 28, 2012

Internet Vacation

Inspired by my friend The Great Chris Talley™, I've decided to have a week-long Internet vacation, starting tomorrow. I already began by deactivating (temporarily) my Facebook account. If I left it up, I think I'd feel too tempted to check in and too obligated to respond to messages and comments and horrible photos (uploaded by my sister Katie) of me doing an ill-advised shot on vacation.

Awhile back Chris and his wife Heather took a break from Internet and television. Eek. I'm not so sure about the television part of the experiment. I mean, I really can't go without watching Breaking Bad tomorrow night. So I'm still going to watch a little TV but I'm going to stick to shows I really care about and can't wait a week to watch. Actually, now that I think about it, Breaking Bad is pretty much it at the moment.

Of course I'll blog about it when my self-imposed hiatus is over.

I'm hopeful I'll get all sorts of productive things accomplished. I'll get the kids registered for school and stock up on school supplies. I'll clean the bathrooms. I'll fold all the laundry and put it away. Maybe I'll clean out the garage and finally donate a bunch of stuff to Goodwill. I'll clean out Kate's room and clear out all the little girl clothes that no longer fit my pre-teen. Maybe I'll work out twice a day and cook amazing meals every night. Maybe I'll write another book.

Perhaps I'll have some sort of amazing epiphany during the week, some insight into who I am and what the hell I'm supposed to be doing with my life.

Or maybe I'll just take a lot of naps.


5 comments:

  1. Awesome! I can't wait to read your post-internet vacation blog. I'm not sure what I was thinking but I did my unplugged week during football season. I did listen to the Alabama game on the radio though. Two things that I immediately noticed were a renewed appreciation for reading actual books vs. all the random shit I read online everyday. I also slept a lot better without the TV or laptop to keep me up too late.

    Good luck!

    The Great Chris Talley™

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! For a second (several minutes) there I thought you had defriended me, which is, of course, the ultimate put-down, except for actually having a conversation with someone during which you insult them. And I just couldn't deal with the fact that I didn't get to see your lovely face and posts on FB, especially when I get to point you in the direction of, oh, I don't know, buzzfeed's reasons why you shoud like men's water polo, or why I stress over unreasonable things. So I feel a bit better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Men's water polo? Dammit, what have I done? I'll be back soon. I just needed a bit of radio silence. I'm going to blog about it, but I'll give you a small spoiler: It turns out all the noise is in my head.

      Delete
  3. taking a break from FB alone is the best thing for anyone to do. FB IS THE DEVIL. Talk to you next week! I wanna hear about your trip, NEXT WEEK when you're plugged back in. (and the pic of the shot you're doing)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH, THANK GOD!! Shan, I felt the same way. I even had my fiancé try to friend you on FB, and he doesn't know you. Yes, I know that's a little twisted. I have really missed your posts, Amy. I think I have a little bit of a girl crush. As selfish as I want to be right now, I am telling myself I am happy you are taking some real time for yourself. (I heart you.)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.