"Lars is spot on about how good this proposal is. You have taken an incredibly difficult subject and handled it with a deft touch that demonstrates great reserves of talent throughout. In the end, though, I think it would just be too tough to find an editor who thought they could take a book about a suicide and find an audience for it. Given the quality of the proposal, I don't think it will take you long to find an agent for this. Thanks so much for the opportunity to consider it and best of luck."
Given the quality of the proposal, I don't think it will take you long to find an agent for this. That was in June. This was my first rejection.
2. A.H. at David Black Agency
"He was impressed with the story and construction but doesn't think he could sell it. But he didn't rule it out and said he might pass it to another one of their people that deal with boutique publishers that tend to take on controversial and sensitive subject matter."
14. Wales Lit
"Thank you for sending us your query. We are unable to ask to see your work as we can only review and take on a few new projects each year. We wish you all the best and thank you for thinking of us."
15. C.S. at Selectric Artists
No response to query letter.
|Et tu, George?|
- I wish literary agents would not use totally made-up words in the names of their literary agencies.
- This one hurt: "I have trouble seeing readers being able to move past the horror of this story to reach a real place of inspiration by the end." Readers can't move past the horror? How the hell do I even get out of bed every day. It's a mystery.
- Taboo. Controversial. Sensitive. I honestly had no idea any subject was still considered taboo.
- Platform is just an agent word for "How famous are you? How many people know you exist and would run out and buy your book?" I'm not famous at all. Twelve people read my blog. Twenty-five people will run out and buy my "small" book. What? You don't want 15 percent of that action?! You don't want a piece of this?
If you know of an agent who you think might like to tell me "This is great, but...", please feel free to pass along his or her contact information.