Sunday, February 12, 2012

29-Day TV Challenge: Favorite Childhood Show

I didn't even have to think about this one.

Little House on the Prairie.

No doubt about it.

I spent too many afternoons to count watching this show. In elementary school, on days when we were supposed to dress as literary characters, I dressed as Laura Ingalls. Every. Single. Time.

I wished I could call my parents "Ma" and "Pa." I wanted to sleep in a long nightgown and a nightcap in a loft.

I wanted to travel in a covered wagon. I have no doubt it was uncomfortable but it seemed so cozy and cool, to sit under that fabric covering surrounded by your family's worldly belongings while you set out for a new life.

I wanted to watch my Pa build a log cabin. If you're lucky these days, you can watch a guy build a high score on some Xbox game. In my Little House on the Prairie books, I read about people who built houses and towns and entire lives with their own two hands.

I still have a stack of the books on my bookshelves. Little House in the Big Woods. Little House on the Prairie. By the Shores of Silver Lake. Little Town on the Prairie. The Long Winter. These Happy Golden Years.

When it came to the show, I wanted Michael Landon to be my dad and I wanted a cute nickname like "Half Pint." I still want that.

6 comments:

  1. Full House was my favorite show as a child.

    My father hated that show.

    As a parent, I now see it from his point of view.

    I really just wanted stephanie tanner's blond ringlets, and DJ's phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also LOVED Jem and the Holograms.

      To this day, I can still sing the theme song on demand.

      Delete
    2. Jem! Jem is excitement, ooooh, Jem, Jem is adventure. Glamour and glitter, fashion and fame. JEM!

      You are not alone.

      Delete
    3. Kate watched a SHIT TON of Full House reruns a couple of years ago. When I went to San Francisco, I took pics in front of the houses that are in the opening credits for her. And when John Stamos showed up on "Glee," Kate said, "Hey, that's Uncle Jesse!"

      Delete
  2. Favorite two episodes of Little House....the one when Laura and her mom run the boarding house and she puts 5 lbs of cayenne pepper in Nellie Olsens food and they get into a big brawl in the kitchen. SECOND.Mrs. Ingles is stuck at home, no dr. in sight, with an infected leg and shes about to cut if off. hot towel, axe....sweating profusely albeit the winter storm outside..amputate by lantern....she was one tough broad that Mrs Ingles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just mentioned two of my faves! That one with Mrs. Ingalls used to freak me the hell out! I also love, love the episode when Percival comes to town to help run the restaurant and he and Nellie fall in love. I really liked when Nellie got nice.

      Also, remember the episode when Almanzo gets sick and has to be packed into a tub full of ice?

      Or when Laura thinks she's found gold and it's fool's gold? Poor Laura!

      Seriously, this has inspired me to start recording them and watching again.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.