Thursday, February 9, 2012

29-Day Television Challenge: Best Scene Ever

This is too hard. There are so many excellent scenes from so many good TV shows. I had mine all picked out and then yesterday my cousin-in-law KiKi Commons reminded me of this scene from The West Wing, a scene I would like to reenact on an almost daily basis with some people.
Damn, that scene is fantastic.

But the scene that has stayed with me for 12 years is a scene from ER in which no one even says a thing. It's from the very end of the season 6 finale titled "May Day." John Carter's coworkers have confronted him about his escalating drug use and, after breaking down during a fight with Dr. Peter Benton, Carter has agreed to go to rehab. The last scene of the episode shows him looking out of the window of a plane. The camera pulls back and we see that Dr. Benton is sitting next to him. If you watched the show and remember their often-contentious relationship and Benton's gruff demeanor, then you know what a wonderful thing this was. ER had a ton of amazing moments but, for me, this was the absolute best.
Clooney Connection: Duh.

5 comments:

  1. Holy hells bells! I went on a West Wing marathon post-op, and I savor this episode every time I see it. And the ER episode? Yeah, I teared up when they panned to Benton. Wanted to leap through the screen and hug him. But the episode I bought through iTunes so I could educate my teenager on the birth of Clooney's career (because she needed to know this for pop culture appreciation) is "Hell and High Water" with the kid in the storm drain. And I laugh every time I watch it, in the opening scene when he scares the little girls and makes them cry in the pediatricians office. Evil, I know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my favorite ER episode as well.

      Delete
  2. WOOT! Shoutout! This one's for you, Amy Bickers.

    West Wing - Two Cathedrals

    http://youtu.be/FScv89J6rro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That scene gives me chills. I love how well-written that show was. It's like a breath of fresh air in a world of fart jokes!

      Delete
  3. I want to put that West Wing clip on my phone and play it anytime gay marriage comes up and see how many people I can leave speechless and running for the Bible to see if the chapters and verses are correct.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.