Thursday, November 3, 2011

Don't It Make Your Brown Eyes Blue

A scientist in California claims that he’s developed a simple procedure that can change brown eyes into blue eyes. A specially-tuned laser is used to destroy the brown pigment melanin in the iris. The procedure is still in the testing phases and, once it’s available in the United States, it could cost as much as $5,000. 
I’m going to let Whitney Houston express my immediate reaction to this: 

Yes, I have brown eyes so I’m biased. I’m going to take personally this idea that people with brown eyes would prefer to have blue eyes. Why? 
I don’t have anything against blue eyes. Blue eyes are lovely. My mother has light blue eyes full of light and life. Both of my children inherited their father's eye color and, depending on what they're wearing, their eyes change like the sea from blue to green. I love hot guys with dark hair and ice blue eyes. 
Sure, we all have things about ourselves that we’d like to change. We dye our hair, we work out, we tan, we put on makeup, we shoot our faces full of Botox and collagen and God knows what else (OK, we don't all do this). But using a laser to change your eye color? Stop the madness! 
So this is for all you brown-eyed beauties out there. Brown eyes are amazing. Don’t let anyone make you think otherwise. 

More importantly, so would George Clooney. The world’s best bachelor (don’t even argue with me about that) definitely has a type. His only marriage was to a woman with brown eyes. His last three girlfriends have all had brown eyes. If brown eyes are good enough for George...
Talia Balsam, ex-wife

Sarah Larson
Stacy Keibler

Elisabetta Canalis







Side note: George also likes big breasts. 
Those will run you about $3,000.









When I was growing up, my sweet Granddad, the wise and wonderful Wesley Bickers Sr., would ask me, “Who has brown eyes?”
“You do!” I’d say. 
“Who else?” he’d ask.
“My daddy does!” 
“And..?”
“I do!” 
        

I wouldn’t trade my brown eyes, this link to my dad and to my late granddad, for anything in the world.

3 comments:

  1. :) I don't think it is a spite against brown eyes - they would happily make blue eyes brown too, but it is much harder, that is all. If you can change your hair colour - why not your eyes too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying your hair is temporary. Changing your eye color would be permanent. It seems sad and unnecessary to me. I wish people were more accepting of themselves instead of always wishing for what they don't have.
    The scientist who came up with it actually discusses how light eyes are preferable to dark eyes: “People like the depth of a light eye," he said. "Eyes are the windows to the soul, and a light eye is like an open window.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, I've thought this over and think the scientist who said light eyes are preferable to dark eyes is full of it (and you know what it is he's full of). This is so subjective. If our culture was less "appearance oriented" we would have a far healthier environment for our children. We might take a lesson from our European friends - they are far less concerned with their looks than we.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.