Friday, November 4, 2011

Crushing On...Writers

Whenever I pick up a book at the library or the bookstore, I flip to the back inside jacket so I can look at the author photo and bio. I think this is probably because I want to publish a book and I wonder about the people who have accomplished this feat that sometimes seems impossible. Then I flip to the front inside jacket and read the book description.

Maybe it's no surprise that I sometimes develop crushes on authors based on their jacket photos. First of all, writers are awesome. Secondly, authors always look so good in their photos.

So here's a list of my top author crushes:
Andre Dubus III is the author of House of Sand and Fog, Townie, and The Garden of Last Days. All of these books are amazing. If you haven't read them, do so immediately. Start with House of Sand and Fog. It explores how the most heartbreaking thing about human beings is not how we clash over our hatred but how we clash over our hope. Andre Dubus III is truly talented. I'm not just objectifying him. But he's totally hot, isn't he?
Colson Whitehead is the author of The Intuitionist, John Henry Days, Sag Harbor, and Zone One, a zombie book that is so much more. Esquire called it "one of the best books of the fall." Clearly, he's intelligent and a great writer. But he's also adorable and has a good sense of humor. And he's on Twitter. “I can't blame modern technology for my predilection for distraction, not after all the hours I've spent watching lost balloons disappear into the clouds. I did it before the Internet, and I'll do it after the apocalypse, assuming we still have helium and weak-gripped children.” Follow him on Twitter and you'll crush on him, too.


Jack Kerouac was a pioneer of the Beat Generation and a literary legend. In On the Road, he wrote this: "The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow Roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars, and in the middle, you see the blue center-light pop, and everybody goes ahh...
So, you can see that he's fantastic. And totally dreamy, too.

John Grisham is the author of The Firm, A Time to Kill, The Pelican Brief, The Client, and 19 other best-selling books (eight of which have been made into movies) that have made him richer than anyone you will ever know. Whether you like legal thrillers or not - and, honestly, I haven't read one of his books since The Runaway Jury in 1997 - just look at that intense gaze. Thrilling, right? John Grisham was born in Arkansas and lives in Mississippi. I want to state, for the record, that I have never once seen a man who looks like that in Mississippi. Or Arkansas.


Ian McEwan. OK, so he's not a tough guy with a smirk and a full head of hair like Andre, he doesn't have cool dreads and a funny Twitter account like Colson. He's not dreamy like Jack. Unlike John's author photo, Ian's photo doesn't say, "That's right, baby, read my book. You know you want to." But here's the thing: He's a genius. He's the author of Atonement, Enduring Love, Amsterdam, Saturday, and a lot of other books you should check out of the library and read right this minute. All of his books are brilliant. His writing makes me realize I'll never write anything as good as his books. But his writing also makes me want to keep trying. And that is totally crush-worthy.

Photo credits: Andre Dubus III by Marion Ettlinger; Colson Whitehead by Erin Patrice O'Brien; Ian McEwan by Eamon McCabe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.